Monday 25 May 2009

Scouring the horse

Nice little article about the 'scouring' of the White Horse at Uffington. It's a wonderful site. Although the Wiltshire Downs are better known, I have a soft spot for the Berkshire Downs, particularly the area from the White Horse along the Ridgeway to Wayland's Smithy and down to Ashdown House (which has also recently appeared in the news). I spent several weeks working for Oxford Archaeology on a very exposed hillside nearby excavating the area where a Bronze Age hoard had been found. I can still remember the way in which the curtains of rain would sweep across the landscape. I would watch the front of the shower of rain move over the field towards me allowing me to time my retreat to the site hut to perfection.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You might be interested in the 1st Oxford Working Class Bookfair taking place next month:
www.oxfordworkingclassbookfair.blogspot.com

http://another-green-world.blogspot.com/2009/05/1st-oxford-working-class-bookfair.html